The course is over! Final grades will soon be submitted to MySlice. Thanks to everyone for a great semester, and enjoy your break.
- Prof. Graham Leuschke
- Time & Place
- TR 12:30–1:50 in Carn 311
- Textbook (optional)
- Dummit & Foote, Abstract Algebra
- Office Hours
- MW 1:30–4:30; by appointment; and any time my door is open (317G Carnegie)
- Important documents
- HW #1, due Tuesday 4 September
- HW #2, due Tuesday 11 September
- HW #3, due Tuesday 18 September
- HW #4, due Tuesday 25 September
- HW #5, due Tuesday 2 October (Problem 5 is wrong as stated; fixed in class.)
- HW #6, due Tuesday 9 October
- HW #7, due Tuesday 16 October
- HW #8, due Tuesday 23 October
- HW #9, due Tuesday 6 November
- HW #10, due Tuesday 13 November
- HW #11, due Tuesday 27 November
- HW #12, due Tuesday 4 December
- An entertainingly written paper about the representations of the Klein 4-group (i.e., which vector spaces admit an action of V4)
- Other examples of geometric things of which we can consider the group of symmetries: friezes, wallpaper (aka 2-dimensional crystal structures, see also), 3-dimensional crystal structures, and so on….
- Where did the quaternions come from?